Archaeological Museum of Mystras
Archaeological site of Mystras
Tel.: 27310 83377
Open daily: 08:30-15:00 - Entrance fee: 5,00 €
The Archaeological Museum of Mystras is housed in the two-storeyed building at the west wing of the north courtyard of the Cathedral of St. Demetrios. An inscription salvaged on the balcony over the left side of the Museum door informs visitors that the building dates back to 1754. The two floors of the building house sculptures, frescos, architectural fragments, portable post-Byzantine icons and other findings from the early Christian era through the post-Byzantine period. Most of the sculptures were unearthed during excavations at church-ruins in Mystras, save a few that were found in Sparta. The churches of Sparta provided ample construction material to the inhabitants of Mystras, especially during the 13th and 14th centuries, when, in fear of enemy invasions, the residents of the unfortified Spartan plains moved to the fortified city of Mystras.